John M. Mione
Chief Operating Officer
John M. Mione is the Chief Operating Officer and a Senior Attorney at Paletz Law. In this capacity, he is responsible for overseeing the day to day activities of the Firm as well as the attorneys, administrative and accounting staff. He also assists in implementation of the strategic vision of the CEO, and is involved in corporate recruitment and staffing. As a Senior Attorney, John is tasked with large scale project management and litigation of crucial matters.
John practices primarily in the areas of landlord-tenant law, where he has been a speaker and instructor on issues relating to the landlord and property management industry. He also handles fair housing defense of property owners, and has engaged in fair housing cases in multiple states throughout the country. He also has experience in contract law, risk management and compliance, municipal law, construction and commercial litigation, as well as insurance defense and general civil litigation. He is a member of the Real Property Law section of the State Bar of Michigan, and has also completed fair housing training.
John is a 2002 graduate of the University of Michigan, where he earned a B.A. in Economics. He earned his J.D. from Wayne State University Law School in May, 2005, where he was a member of Moot Court. He also interned with the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan while a law student, and worked as a law clerk at a private practice law firm where he assisted in litigation and case management.
John is a supporter of various charitable causes, such as CS Mott’s Children’s Hospital and the American Heart Association, and is a volunteer with several organizations, including his local church and youth sports organizations.
- Michigan, 2005
- Ohio, 2014
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 2005
- United States District Court, Western District of Michigan, 2006
- United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio, 2016
- United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio, 2017
- Reversed a Michigan district court’s longstanding prohibition on collection of utilities in Summary Proceedings.
- Successfully appealed a district court judge’s prohibition on the recovery of late fees from a tenant as outlined within the lease agreement.
- Obtained summary disposition in favor of a property owner in a commercial litigation dispute, which was successfully upheld at the appellate level on two occasions.
- Won a directed verdict at trial in favor of a property owner that resulted in the dismissal of a former tenant’s multiple count counterclaim alleging breach of warranty and fraud.
- Managed implementation of state-specific lease agreements for multi-state real estate acquisitions.
- “What Michigan Landlords Need to Know About the New Rental Inspection Legislation”, The Update – The Voice of the Washtenaw, Livingston, Monroe and Lenawee County’s Rental Housing Industry (February, 2018); JALA NEWS – Jackson Area Landlords Association (November, 2018).
- “Residential Occupancy Limits & Fair Housing”, State Bar of Michigan Real Property Law Section e-Newsletter (August 1, 2017)
- “5 Ways to Decrease Evictions”, Sterling Education Services Legal Education Blog (November 24, 2014)
- “Determining Priority Between Construction Liens and Mortgages”, Michigan Constructor (Summer/Fall 2007)
- “Standing Necessary to Challenge Award of Bid on Public Project”, Michigan Constructor (Spring 2006)
Meet the rest of paletz LAW